Living the Dream, Vivere il sogno



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bat's in the Attic

My mom needs to get stuff out of my grandmother's attic before we move, but when my grandmother went up there the other day she saw a bat! I don't know if was just one bat, but there was a bat. The last time my mom and I went up there, there was not bat, but there was rat poop everywhere! My mom didn't want me to step in the poop so I was just standing in a space that I wouldn't get in the way. After a while my legs started falling a sleep and when she told me it was time to go I couldn't move! But that was a while ago, so I don't remember all the details.

Did you ever want to know more about bats? Well here is stuff I found off of the internet:

Bats may be the most misunderstood animals in the United States, although as consumers of enormous numbers of insects, they rank among the most beneficial. Almost all United States bats, and 70 percent of the bat species worldwide, feed almost exclusively on insects and are thus extremely beneficial. In fact, bats are the only major predators of night-flying insects. One bat can eat between 600 and 1,000 mosquitoes and other insect pests in just one hour.
While most United States bat species are insectivorous, bats in other parts of the world feed on a variety of items in addition to insects. Many species feed primarily on fruit, while several types feed on nectar and pollen. Fruit bats perform an extremely important function as seed dispersers. Nectar eating bats, including the federally-listed endangered lesser long-nosed (Leptonycteris curasoae yerbabuenae) and greater Mexican long-nosed bats (Leptonycteris nivalis), are important pollinators. Many plant species depend almost entirely on bats for pollination.
Of the 45 species of bats found in the continental United States, six are federally-listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended. These species include the:

In addition, populations of several of the remaining species, especially cave-dwelling species, appear to be declining.

If you want to see the site for your self here is the link:http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/bats/bats.htm

Have a good day, Bye

2 comments:

  1. Great Article and good work on putting it together.

    Keith
    ProBest Pest Management

    ReplyDelete